Do you like to design fliers? Write articles? Sell books? Track numbers? Scrapbook? Or would you care to assist with the music program?
Maybe organize a pot luck?
The Scripps Ranch Friends of the Library has lots of opportunities for you to help, whether it's a commitment of a few hours a month or a one time project.
If you are interested in volunteering, or would like to learn more about the duties involved,
please email our Volunteer Coordinator or visit the Circulation Desk at the Scripps Ranch Library.
Here is a list of some of the jobs that need doing.
- Maintains accurate records of the membership.
- Designs and distributes membership applications.
- Prepares and mails membership renewal forms.
- Prepares and distributes membership cards to members.
- Prepares literature to explain the benefits and role of SRFOL.
- Creates new approaches to increase awareness and membership.
- Establishes contact with the membership perhaps through cards, thank yous, etc.
- Coordinates with the treasurer and membership records personnel.
- Forwards copies of the current membership list to the Corporate Friends of the San Diego Public Library.
- Assesses current renewal policies and membership category status and makes appropriate recommendations to the board.
Folio Newsletter Editor
- Edits and publishes the Folio publication (ideally 4 times per year).
- Collects and publishes articles from the SRFOL President and the Library Branch Manager.
- Collects photos and/or writes articles for publication.
- Compiles an event schedule for upcoming 3 months.
- Provides an electronic copy of the Folio to the webmaster for inclusion on the SRFOL website.
Pleasure of Your Company Music Program
- Selects and coordinates with performers.
- Creates flyers for monthly concerts.
- Assists with setting up of chairs, serving refreshments, packing up, and cleaning up after each event.
- Arranges for children's programs from a list of city approved resources.
- Contacts and schedules performers/community room.
- Creates flyers for children's program events.
- Monitors monthly children's programs.
- Conducts the annual student essay contest; reads and evaluates student essays.
- Plans and coordinates the Summer Reading Program.
- Assists with set up, refreshments, and clean up at events.
- Shops for items needed at various SRFOL events.
- May plan refreshments for POYC concerts.
- May plan/coordinate other events which include refreshments as needed (with assistance of other volunteers), e.g., the annual volunteer recognition event.
- Contacts individuals who have indicated an interest in volunteering with SRFOL to help match their interests and availability with SRFOL needs.
- Assists with coordination of the annual volunteer recognition event.
- Writes short articles about the SRFOL for the monthly SRCA Newsletter which is submitted via email; photographs (in jpg format) usually submitted with article (often photo is obtained from another SRFOL Board member or library staff member).
- Prepares publicity promoting monthly POYC concerts and submits to San Diego Union-Tribune, multiple community newspapers, and various websites (e.g., KPBS, The Reader, Sign-On San Diego; submitted via email or through on-line form on website (sometimes requires communicating with performer to obtain photo, updated information).
- Occasionally prepares publicity promoting special events sponsored by the SRFOL.
- Approximately every 2 years, plans and prepares a centerfold spread ("Focus" section) featuring the SRFOL for the SRCA Newsletter.
- Directs and provides content for the SRFOL website.
- Attends the monthly Friends of the San Diego Public Library meeting (generally 10 or 11 months per year).
Grace's Book Nook (GBN)
- Interviews, schedules, and coordinates volunteers for Grace's Book Nook.
- Compiles and publishes a monthly calendar for volunteer shift assignments in Grace's Book Nook.
- Reports on Book Nook sales at monthly Board meetings.
- Purchases GBN sales supplies (sales receipt books, ledgers, pens, envelopes, etc).
- Prints cash envelopes for use with shift receipts.
- Works in coordination with library staff to process donated books.
- Prices books for sale in the Book Nook.
- Trains other volunteers on pricing, shelving, and selling books.
- Coordinates special monthly discount book sales.
- Substitutes for volunteers who miss their assigned shift.
- Other volunteer opportunities include:
- sorting, pricing, and shelving donated books
- researching potentially rare books on the Internet
- cleaning and repairing damaged books
- periodically alphabetizing shelved books by authors' last names
- culling unsold books for disposal
- coordinating exchanges of unsold books with FSDPL and Friends' chapters at other libraries
- covering 2-1/2 hour shifts in Grace's Book Nook on regular basis or as substitute
- Writes and mails letters to SRFOL members and friends soliciting donations for the SRFOL Holiday Bookplate program, which rewards donors by placing a bookplate with the donor's or honoree's name in one or more library books.
- Sends letters to honorees and acknowledgment letters to donors.
- Assists with setting up special events (project based).
- Maintains the SRFOL website with general SRFOL information and sponsored events.
- Coordinates with POYC, Childrens' Program, and Book Discussion Group coordinators as well as the Publicity Chairperson, to ensure timely and accurate information is placed on the website.
- Edits digitized photographs for use on the website.
- Creates, collects, and edits clip art and other graphics for use on the website.
- Processes annual Internet domain registration.
Audit Committee Chair
- Supervises the annual audit of the financial records of the SRFOL.
- Chairs the audit committee (typically 2-3 people; major work occurs in July and August and tends to take 5-8 hours).
- Takes pictures at SRFOL events.
- Collects and collates materials from SRFOL events into scrapbooks.
- Decorates display cases in the entryway of the Scripps Ranch Library and changes the displays periodically (display cases are used to promote Grace's Book Nook and the SRFOL).